Thursday, November 25, 2010

thanksgiving: an honest cliche, all arrogance aside

i've always been one to say thanksgiving was my favorite holiday, and for good reason. it isn't commercialized to the extent of other holidays, it's maintained it's moral values, it brings family together, allows me to eat great food (although i never eat as much as i plan to), and most of all, it is founded on a great principal. now yes, if you look back, the stuff you're taught in grade school is bull shit, about the pilgrims and indians and everyone getting along....okay, the story got a little twisted, but that's fine. the fact of the matter remains, thanksgiving is about being content with what you have, being thankful for the good fortune you have, and to reflect on just how well off a lot of us over in america really are.

so, what am i thankful for? i can say i'm thankful for a lot this year. it's been a good year for me really. it got off to a bad start and the past little while has been iffy, but the majority of my year has been amazing. for the first time in a long time i can say i'm thankful for both my dad and especially my mom. my dad has become somebody i actually enjoy spending time with again, and without his financial support i'd probably be screwed by now. my mom, if i wrote about all the things i'm thankful for with her, i'd be here for days. she's amazing and i love her to death and want nothing but the best for her, regardless of what's happening now.

i'm thankful for how lucky i've been with school. i'm going to make it out of school with both a coaching and teaching degree and i have hardly done any work to acquire these things. i've gotten by on just my natural talents and help from some great people in my life. i'm thankful for my athletics. i love my rugby team and i am so happy to have found a position coaching wrestling, it's great to have it back in my life.

but above all, i am eternally grateful to the people in my life who have ever cared about me enough to make me aware of it. there's times i'm a miserable prat and hate everything and times i feel terribly alone, but there's a good handful of people, some i've known for years and some i've known only for a couple months, who have gone out of their way to be there for me, and without them, i don't know where i would be.

so thanks everyone, happy thanksgiving, and yeah, now it's okay to start celebrating christmas.


currently listening to: brad paisley -- american saturday night

brand new -- the devil and god are raging inside me

mad caddies -- songs in the key of eh

No comments:

Post a Comment